We are a professional organization working exclusively to meet the needs of Licensed Mental Health Counselors in Louisiana. LMHCA is chartered through the Louisiana Counseling Association (LCA), our state professional organization.
LMHCA performs its mission by working with other professional organizations, the state legislature, state regulatory agencies, insurance companies and consumers to promote quality in mental health counseling practices. We maintain standing committees whose focus is to safeguard and advocate for Licensed Mental Health Counselors and their clients.
- Promote the profession of mental health counseling
- Provide a system of information exchange between mental health counselors through dissemination of a newsletter and other educational and professional materials
- Provide programs for mental health counselors to assist in updating and enhancing competencies
- Promote legislation which recognizes and advances the profession of mental health counseling;
- Provide a public forum for mental health counselors to address the social, emotional and developmental needs of their clients
- Provide an alliance with mental health counselors, and other mental health providers in other work settings to advance the profession of mental health counseling
- Promote minimal training standards necessary for mental health counselors
- Promote scientific research and inquiry into mental health concerns
- Provide a liaison to work at the state and national levels with other professional groups to assist in the advancement of the mental health field
- Provide the public with information to enhance awareness of mental health counseling, and the competencies and services of its practitioners
- Promote licensure and certification for mental health counselors on the state and national levels
LMHCA does not endorse products or services, including products and services advertised in its publications or on its website, unless explicitly so stated in the advertisement itself. Nor does LMHCA endorse opinions or confirm authenticity of statements contained in material submitted for publication. And also, the selection of a venue by LMHCA to hold meetings or host workshops reflects only the suitability of the facility for that purpose, nothing more.